Re: Mark set by ‘mark-*’ not deactivated by point motion

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Mark set by ‘mark-*’ not deactivated by point motion
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 21:25:59 +0300

> From: Yuri Khan <yurivkhan@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 00:25:31 +0700
>
> 1. Move point before the word “buffer” in the first line in *scratch*.
> 2. Press M-@ for ‘mark-word’. Observe that the mark is set after the
> word ”buffer” and activated.
> 3. Move point with an unshifted point motion key.
>
> Observed behavior: point moves as commanded, mark remains active.
>
> Expected behavior: point moves, mark is deactivated.

Not sure why you expected the mark to deactivate in this scenario.
How is this different from typing "C-x C-x" instead of M-@ (with the
rest of the recipe the same)?

> it runs against my general expectation that selection goes away after
> any motion that is not specifically directed to extend/shrink
> selection.

Selection does, but you didn't create any selections by the above
sequence of actions.  You've set a region and activated it.
Shift-selection is not the same.