Re: Fonts from specified directory

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Fonts from specified directory
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2018 16:36:02 +0700

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 3:12 PM N. Raghavendra <nyraghu27132@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to configure Emacs to use fonts from a specified
> directory?  My OS is Linux.  For instance, I have downloaded a version
> of DejaVu fonts that is more recent than the one provided by the OS, and
> have installed the new fonts as, say, /foo/dejavu/DejaVu*.ttf.  Is it
> possible to configure Emacs to use /foo/dejavu/DejaVu*.ttf instead of
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/dejavu/DejaVu*.ttf?

On fontconfig/GNU/Linux, font file locations are specified by
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf and configuration files included by it. See “man
fonts-conf” for details.

On my system (Ubuntu 16.04), the list goes like this:

* /usr/share/fonts (system-provided)
* /usr/local/share/fonts (locally administered system-wide)
* $XDG_DATA_HOME/fonts (user-specific)
* ~/.fonts (deprecated user-specific)

I don’t see a description of what happens when different versions of
the same font are available, but I’d expect user-specific to override
local and system, and local to override system.