Re: Using R-mail in Emacs

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Using R-mail in Emacs
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 23:42:57 +0200

The comment from RMS [1] previously mentioned
was based on a misconception: just before he
said that, it was brought up that few people
use Rmail (or RMAIL), but this was said in the
context of ~"this will make it difficult to
have a lot of people testing it", not to say
Rmail was unimportant because few people were
using it, which was RMS' interpretation.

So maybe the comment of Rmail being the
"primary" mail-reader for Emacs was a stretch,
because he, for the wrong reason, felt the need
to defend it?

BTW that whole thread was discussing the
transition from Babyl to mbox for Rmail, and
how to get it tested before a release!

Anyway here is some more interesting stuff:

Alex Schroeder writes:

        I think it needs to be tested at least
        a little before we put it in the trunk.
        I don't know if anyone has actually used
        it yet.

    Our problem is that many people use Gnus
    for their mail. On #emacs, most people
    recommend to use Gnus when newbies ask for
    mail within Emacs. Can we look specifically
    for RMAIL users willing to help us test?
    We could ask on the newsgroups, for
    example. I will ask on #emacs... [2]

A big problem indeed :) Also note the "We could
ask on the newsgroups" ... :)

RMS again:

    The one time I tried to start Gnus (to read
    news), it was so much hassle when starting
    up that I killed it. I recommend use of
    Rmail to read mail. [3]

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-09/msg00328.html

[2] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-09/msg00313.html