Re: query: remapping a mouse press

From: allan gottlieb
Subject: Re: query: remapping a mouse press
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 17:07:56 -0400

On Sun, Aug 26 2018, hw wrote:

> allan gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> writes:
>
>> I am having trouble enabling mouse-wheel-tilt-scroll
>>
>> Currently I have
>>
>>     mouse-wheel-tilt-scroll is a variable defined in `mwheel.el'.
>>     Its value is t
>>     Original value was nil
>>
>> Possibly it is because my logitech mouse has many buttons and tilting
>> the wheel generates mouse-6 and mouse-7, which are bound to scroll-down
>> and scroll-up.  I want to bind mouse-6 to scroll-left and tried several
>> variations on
>>
>>    (define-key global-map <mouse-6> 'scroll-left)
>>
>> but with no success.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> FWIW:
>
> You can use xinput to configure which physical button on a mouse (or
> trackball,
> in this example) is being mapped to which logical button like so:
>

> xinput set-button-map "Kensington Kensington Slimblade Trackball" 2 1
> 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
> xinput --set-prop "Kensington Kensington Slimblade Trackball" "Evdev
> Wheel Emulation" 1
> xinput --set-prop "Kensington Kensington Slimblade Trackball" "Evdev
> Wheel Emulation Button" 3
> xinput --set-prop "Kensington Kensington Slimblade Trackball" "Evdev
> Wheel Emulation Axes" 6, 7, 4, 5
>

> This example is for when you use the trackball with your left hand.

Thank you.

I believe that this use of xinput I accomplish with xmodmap.

My question is "downstream" of that.  Assuming I have configured the
mouse (in my case via xmodmap) and when I push a certain physical button
it generates a pair of x events

ButtonPress event, serial 36, synthetic NO, window 0x4200001,
    root 0x13b, subw 0x0, time 28609618, (45,96), root:(464,877),
    state 0x10, button 13, same_screen YES

ButtonRelease event, serial 36, synthetic NO, window 0x4200001,
    root 0x13b, subw 0x0, time 28609820, (54,94), root:(473,875),
    state 0x10, button 13, same_screen YES

How do I tell emacs to do something (say end-of-buffer) when button 13
is pressed?

thanks again,
allan