Re: Making a non-ASCII space character visible

From: Will Parsons
Subject: Re: Making a non-ASCII space character visible
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 15:09:00 -0400

On Sunday, 17 Jun 2018  2:51 PM -0400, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Will Parsons <varro@nodomain.invalid>
>> Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 14:38:01 -0400
>>
>> What I have had in my .emacs file for years is the following:
>>
>>   (global-whitespace-mode 1)
>>   (setq-default whitespace-style '(face lines-tail tabs trailing))
>>
>> Examining the value of whitespace-mode shows nil, however.
>
> global-whitespace-mode (the function) sets global-whitespace-mode (the
> variable), not whitespace-mode.

So, using the function global-whitespace-mode is *not* the way to
enable whitespace mode?  I find that confusing; where would use one vs
the other?

>> Adding (whitespace-mode 1) to my .emacs file apparently has no effect;
>> the value of whitespace-mode is still nil.
>
> In what buffer?

In any buffer.

>> Now if I interactively run the command "whitespace-mode", the value of
>> the variable whitespace-mode turns to t, but the display of u+2007
>> remains unchanged.
>
> How did you change the mappings for this character to be part of the
> display mappings?

As I stated elsewhere, by manually editing my customization file.
(And I can see the change via the regular Customization interface
under Whitespace Display Mappings - the added character is displayed
like a space, but I can run describe-char on it and see the 2007.)

--
Will