Re: help-gnu-emacs Digest, Vol 186, Issue 39

From: edgar
Subject: Re: help-gnu-emacs Digest, Vol 186, Issue 39
Date: Sat, 26 May 2018 07:24:10 +0000

Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 15:19:29 -0400
From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: General advice beyond Org

We are talking about people's freedom.

"Freedom" is a vague concept, applied in very subjective ways.

Yep. That's what I meant before (a very human concept). Still, does not prevent us from trying to understand or define it.

It's not like you can increase freedom in some respect without reducing
it elsewhere.

This sounded like a scratching blackboard. These are not my words:

“once a {person} has seen that values depend upon {her or himself, (s)}he can
      will only one thing, and that is freedom as the foundation
      of all values.” Sartre is clear that freedom underpins every
      choice we make, and so (as our values are nothing more than
      our choices) freedom underpins every value we create. So
      when I choose I am not only choosing a particular action, I
      am also willing the freedom which enables me to make that
      choice in the first place. We can add in here Sartre’s view
      that whatever I choose myself I am also choosing as an image
      or ideal for the whole of humanity. Therefore, whenever I
      make any free choice of my own I am also willing freedom for
      the whole of humanity; I am universalising freedom.

I am not a philosopher, but the guy who wrote it was. Now, we could ask Nietzsche or Hume what they think about this, and see the sparks from afar. :P

So "rational" doesn't have much to do with it.

If trying to understand it or define it is not an option, I agree :) .

        Stefan

Thank you, Stefan. May be we could get together one of these days to discuss more about the subject. In the mean time, I want to express my appreciation to all of your comments.

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the
NSA's hands!
$24.95 ONETIME Lifetime accounts with Privacy Features! 15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas! Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!