RE: Invalid read syntax: ")"

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Invalid read syntax: ")"
Date: Sun, 6 May 2018 09:03:30 -0700 (PDT)

> >> I have an Invalid read syntax: ")" when I start emacs.
> >> Any idea how to diagnose that ?
> >
> > "emacs --debug-init"
> > That will at least show you which file the problem is in
>
> But what I get is:
> $ emacs --debug-init
> Invalid read syntax: ")"

As Oscar suggested, _bisect your init file_ to find the
culprit.  This a binary search, so it is quick, even if
it does not seem so at first.

You can comment out selected text (the active region)
using command `comment-region'. (I bind it to `C-x C-;'.)
With `C-u', it removes a level of commenting.  (So if
there are no nested comments then it uncomments.)

Some people use `comment-dwim' (`M-;') or `comment-line'
(the default binding for `C-x C-;'), instead of
`comment-region'.  It's all good.

---

Actually, I bind `C-x C-;' to `comment-region-lines',
from `misc-cmds.el', and I use that.  It's kind of
like `comment-region' combined with `comment-line'.

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/misc-cmds.el