Re: How to view raw text in Emacs?

From: Ben Bacarisse
Subject: Re: How to view raw text in Emacs?
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2018 11:29:12 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Ben Bacarisse <ben.lists@bsb.me.uk>
>> Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2018 22:18:51 +0100
>>
>> A word of caution from this function's description
>>
>>   If Emacs already has a buffer which is visiting the file, you
>>   get the existing buffer, regardless of whether it was created
>>   literally or not.
>
> "Same buffer" doesn't mean the same contents.  When the file is
> already being visited, you can get the same buffer, but its contents
> will be erased and populated anew with literally what's in the file,
> without any conversions.

That paragraph started with the sentence "You cannot absolutely rely on
this function to result in visiting the file literally." which certainly
sounds like it might not do what is expected, but I think the warning is
specifically about using find-file-literally in a program because when
called interactively (at least in 25.1.1) I get a warning that emacs can
only visit a file in one way at a time and I am prompted whether to
"revisit" the file (so to speak) or take the existing buffer.

--
Ben.