Re: An article about Emacs for TUGboat

From: N. Raghavendra
Subject: Re: An article about Emacs for TUGboat
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 10:04:09 +0530

At 2018-02-10T20:47:48+01:00, Marcin Borkowski wrote:

> I was asked by one of the editors of TUGboat (the journal of the TeX
> Users' Group) to write an article about using Emacs for TeX.  I am now
> in the process of writing this paper.  My idea is to first explain the
> basic concepts of Emacs, and then proceed to AUCTeX and various ways of
> customizing Emacs.

In my experience AUCTeX is best suited for editing LaTeX documents, and
less so for documents using other TeX macros such as plain TeX, or
ConTeXt, although it has some support for them.  Perhaps this could be
pointed out as a caveat when you mention AUCTeX, especially since
TUGboat is widely read by users of such TeX macros.

You may also want to mention RefTeX as another remarkably useful Emacs
package, which plugs into AUCTeX seamlessly.  It handles multi-file
LaTeX documents that use the `xr' package.  It can also be used with
other TeX macros such as ConTeXt.

Many people seem to use CDLaTeX too for inserting LaTeX environments and
such.  Simlarly, Yasnippet.  More such Emacs packages are described at
EmacsWiki, https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LaTeX

Another very nice tool is the Emacs BibTeX mode, which is described in
an article by Stefan Schoef,
http://www.jonathanleroux.org/bibtex-mode.html

Raghu.

--