counsel-dired-jump error "find: paths must precede expression:"

From: John Magolske
Subject: counsel-dired-jump error "find: paths must precede expression:"
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 18:39:07 -0800

When issuing the command counsel-dired-jump from some directories I'll
get this error message:

    find: paths must precede expression: A1
    Try 'find --help' for more information.

yet from other directories the command works fine, allowing fuzzy
searching for a directory to open dired at. I can't sort out why
this error message comes up in some directories and not others...

TIA for any clues,

John

--
John Magolske