Re: How to split (IMAP client side split) incoming mails into groups for

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to split (IMAP client side split) incoming mails into groups for multiple emails addresses with Gnus
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 03:13:43 +0100

gnuforever wrote:

> I wasn't aware of it. I will a have a look.
> It seems quiet interesting.

Gmane does splitting for you! And more...

I have the following Gmane groups. They all
correspond to mailing lists but the interface
and organization is Usenet-like. There are many
advantages, the biggest compared to splitting
(except that it's automated and you don't have
to register at some web page etc) I'd say is
you don't by default get *all* the traffic to
your INBOXes and manually created groups. It is
less heavy handed, basically "just" an
awesome interface :)

6    gmane.comp.shells.zsh.user             4    18243
6    gmane.comp.sysutils.systemd.devel   3640    40131
6    gmane.comp.tex.live                  410    40891
3    gmane.discuss                          1    17367
6    gmane.emacs.bugs                    1692   142198
6    gmane.emacs.devel                    820   221176
3    gmane.emacs.erc.general                      1454
3  1 gmane.emacs.gnus.general                    84087
3    gmane.emacs.gnus.user                       18782
6    gmane.emacs.help                     222   115742
6    gmane.emacs.w3m                      229     9637
6    gmane.linux.debian.user              727   534125
6    gmane.lisp.slime.devel                 8    11783
3    gmane.test                                   8307

However mail splitting can still be useful, as
can "real Usenet", and with Gnus, you can have
mail, Usenet, and Gmane in the same Gnus Group
buffer, all conforming to the same interface.

3  2 rec.bicycles.tech                     13     5998   nntp.aioe.org
6    rec.boats                           3457    12998   nntp.aioe.org
6    rec.gardens.edible                    10      407   nntp.aioe.org
3    rec.sport.boxing                               58   nntp.aioe.org
6  1 rec.woodworking                      196     3311   nntp.aioe.org

It is really as small miracle or at least
a very big programming achievement :)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573