Re: Is there a setting that makes emacs begin editing the init.el file o

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is there a setting that makes emacs begin editing the init.el file on startup?
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2018 19:32:38 +0100

Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> I'm consolidating my configs across machines,
> and now every time I start the machine, instead
> of getting the empty scratch buffer, I see my
> init.el.

This happens because of something you did while
"consolidating configs across machines". (One
way to do that BTW is to have one file and the
push it across the system.)

Are you still invoking Emacs the standard way
or do you pass it any creative arguments?

If no, start examining the init files. If what
you see first thing is init.el, then search
your init files for any references to
that file.

> I've experimented with the 'inhibit' settings
> for startup messages, but nothing is getting me
> back to the blank scratch buffer.

Well, you can get to it manually but you
shouldn't have to.

This

    $ emacs -Q -eval '(setq inhibit-startup-screen t)'

should get you to the scratch buffer.
Any problems for normal invocation are in your
init files. Do a "binary search" (comment-out
in halfs over and over to locate the error) if
need be.

BTW here is what I do - but that's the other
way around, as I don't want the scratch
buffer :)

;; no fanfare / init
(setq inhibit-startup-screen t)
(setq inhibit-startup-echo-area-message "incal")
(setq byte-compile-verbose nil)

;; scratch buffer
(setq initial-scratch-message nil)
(kill-buffer "*scratch*")