Re: Gnus: Thread notes?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Gnus: Thread notes?
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 13:42:32 +0100

> > `gnus-alter-articles-to-read-function' [...]
>
> Interesting! I'd never looked at that option before. I'd still like to
> keep the manual command, for those who don't want this to happen
> automatically, but yes, it wouldn't be hard to refactor.

Yes, I agree we should keep it.

> It would also require some sort of internal caching first -- right now
> it's too slow to have it running each time you enter a group.

In my tests, I didn't see a delay.  It probably depends on how much you
used the registry.

> > (1) I think `gnus-alter-articles-to-read-function' should better
> >  default to a function (lambda (_group-name article-list)
> > article-list), not to nil, so that one could use `add-function' on
> > it.
>
> Or the code could coerce the value to a list, and map all the functions.
> Maybe that would be more intuitive than `add-function'?

But for a list, you can't control how the functions are combined.  It is
always the same, e.g., all the return values are appended.  Then it is
impossible to use the thing for limiting shown articles.  That's quite a
limitation.  With `add-function', there would not be such a restriction
- and one could use priorities (aka advice depth) to control the order
of processing.

But I know some people refrain from using `add-function'.  We could
support both mechanisms at the same time: If
`gnus-alter-articles-to-read-function' is `functionp', call it as a
function, else, treat it as a list (of functions).

Michael.