Re: Gnus: Thread notes?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Gnus: Thread notes?
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 08:44:58 -0800

>> > `gnus-summary-update-article' maybe? (at least, seems this is what
>> > `gnus-registry--set/remove-mark' is doing)
>>
>> Oh, weird, apparently when this annoyed me in the past I already added
>> this code. I don't know why it's not working...
>
> AFAICT, you only do it for `gnorb-gnus-incoming-do-todo' (where it
> works), but not when org-capturing in the first place.

Yes, I noticed that soon after...

>> > FWIW, I would even find it acceptable if Gnorb would just silently
>> > tick the relevant messages.  It's easy enough to untick them again,
>> > and maybe the need to do that explicitly would integrate well with
>> > people's work flow.  The idea is that messages you have operated on
>> > with Gnorb are all important.
>>
>> I'd be annoyed by that behavior, but I can provide a customization
>> option that will do it. I still like the idea of the Gnorb-specific
>> limit function, though.
>
> If you would get it all work conveniently without the need of background
> ticking, it would be better and nicer, yes.

It looks like automatic visibility isn't really feasible, but I've got
ticking running, and am working on the limit function.

>> This has been a multi-year headache. Right now I'm checking the value of
>> `gnus-server-method-cache', and I don't know why your server isn't added
>> to that. I'll add an explicit check for `gnus-secondary-select-methods',
>> too.
>
> I don't know, since I don't know the purpose of this cache.
>
> If I replace that test so that it returns "my-gnorb-server" (hardcoded),
> C-c v works, so it's indeed the wrong test.  I guess you could instead
> check `gnus-server-alist'?

There are several variables that hold servers:
`gnus-secondary-select-methods' for ones you've defined in your gnus.el
file, and `gnus-server-alist' for those you've defined using the Server
buffer interface. But they're supposed to all end up in
`gnus-server-method-cache'. Anyway, I've added an explicit check for
`gnus-secondary-select-methods'.

I'm testing these changes, and will push sometime this week.

Thanks,
Eric