Re: playing sounds from Emacs

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: playing sounds from Emacs
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 12:29:14 +0200

On 2017-08-14, at 23:49, Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> wrote:

>> (shell-command "omx-play-sound ~/bo/up.mp3")
>
> To use `shell-command' like that means
> everything halts until the command has been
> executed, which we can't have, but simply
> putting an "&" after - to make it
> "asynchronous" which is a nice way of saying
> the command will be executed in yet another
> shell, a subshell - that won't work. I get ugly
> output in buffer "*Async Shell Command*".
> and an error message:
>
>     exited abnormally with code 1.
>
> Perhaps some shell color codes are, well,
> "async"! (So yes, in principle it should work.)

Dunno about the non-zero exit code, but did you see this:
http://mbork.pl/2016-04-07_Hiding_those_annoying_Async_Shell_Command_buffers
?

Also - for the record - this:
http://mbork.pl/2016-04-12_Showing_some_of_those_Async_Shell_Command_buffers
and that:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/etc/NEWS?id=85512e752191091d38cd5e34e7bed80eac1e9013

And also, `call-process-shell-command' and `shell-command-to-string'.

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski