RE: Using "Emacs Configure" **and** modifying .emacs

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Using "Emacs Configure" **and** modifying .emacs
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 09:04:38 -0700 (PDT)

> > Some dont want a validation to explode deep
> > whithin the guts of some module loaded by
> > another module, where the user has no clue
> > about what the heck is going on, but next to
> > the place where a variable is being set to
> > a value it's not supposed to have.
> >
> > Sometimes I can sympathize with that :-)
>
> One could also put validation at the beginning
> of the functions that use the value, where it
> (the function) checks its own parameters rather
> than some global loose-cannon variable!

You are presuming that only you and your functions
use or set the value.

If your variable is used by others then all bets
are off in this respect - you do not control how
it is used, set, etc.

> Which is also a much better design this
> specific issue aside...

If you are coding only for yourself then design is
a simpler question.  In that context, do whatever
you think works best for you.  Only you will know
or care.