Re: desktop-read usage and syntax ::error, strange character

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: desktop-read usage and syntax ::error, strange character
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 09:18:38 +0100

ken <gebser@mousecar.com> writes:

> On 07/19/2017 07:11 AM, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>>> Sharon, thanks for your reply. There's a lot there though which I'm not
>>> understanding.  For
>>> instance, what do you meanfur that you 'restore them from memory'?  And
>>> what is tabbar...? and what
>>> are tabs?
>> I remember what files I had open before the 'emacs.desktop' corruption
>> and I then use that memory to help me load them back into emacs. It just
>> uses brain power and brain memory to tell me what buffers I had open,
>> and which I therefore need to reload.
>
> :-D  That was my second choice for interpretations.  The first was that you
> had an app to search
> through RAM.  Back in the DOS days there was such a thing.  Haven't heard of
> such a creature for
> Linux (though it wouldn't be a huge job to code it).
>
>> Tabbar and tabbar-ruler [fn:1] help you by having each buffers title
>> shown in tabs at the top of the emacs buffer. These tabs are similar to
>> the tabs you can find in most internet browsers, think firefox,
>> chromium, Vivaldi, etc. You can move very easily between them by using
>> your mouse, or perhaps keyboard but I'm not sure of that. Anyway, every
>> buffer is a tab, and tabs are grouped together dependant on their major
>> mode. So all elisp buffers are grouped together, and ditto with
>> org-mode, etc. Both programs are available from ELPA, and if you're
>> still using your mouse then they're very worthwhile.
>
> Okay, thanks.  That sounds cool.  Yeah, I'm well aware of tabs in general,
> but had never seen or
> heard of them for emacs.  Sounds like that would be handy in situations...
> though many times I need
> to have two buffers visible at the same time, or also one and the same buffer
> open in two different
> frames, both visible at the same time. So do tabbar/tabbar-ruler allow that
> as well, say, by doing
> "C-x 5 b chosen-buf"...? or is it mandated that henceforth all buffers will
> be tabbed and only so
> (so long as tabbar/tabbar-ruler is invoked)?

Yes you can have two buffers open at the same time, if your monitor is
big enough to display them without the text being so miniscule that it
hurts your eyes! :) I regularly have two buffers open, either side by
side or one above the other when I'm writing an ebook in org-mode and I
want to add a reference to the bibliography or a reference in the
glossary.

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(defun carve-up-soldier18-bib ()
  (interactive)
  (delete-other-windows)
  (split-window-right)
  (other-window 1)
 (find-file "~/research/soldier/soldier-1939-1945/soldier18.bib"))

(global-set-key (kbd "C-c C-0") 'carve-up-soldier18-bib)
#+end_src
[2017-06-13 Tue 16:09]

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun carve-up-soldier18-glos ()
  (interactive)
  (delete-other-windows)
  (split-window-below)
  (other-window 1)
 (find-file "~/research/soldier/soldier-1939-1945/soldier18.glos"))

(global-set-key (kbd "C-c C-1") 'carve-up-soldier18-glos)
#+END_SRC
[2017-06-13 Tue 16:08]

That's the code for just one of my books to split the screen, and then
just use 'Remove other windows' from the "File" menu to revert back to
your main working buffer. Once you get the hang of it, you'll start
moving just using the keyboard and your mouse usage decreases.

And yes, you can have the same buffer opened in different views
(side-by-side or one above the other) and showing different places in
the same file. I find that in that situation its easiest to use org-mode
so you can then easily get to the section that you want to work on. I
also use 'multiple cursors' from ELPA to help in navigating round a big
document to the various sections that you might be using all at the same
time. Imenu also helps a lot too.

It is possible to 'turn off' tabbar by toggling the tabs, and I've done
it occasionally but I find them so useful that I don't generally bother.

Hope this helps?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 9.0, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1, org-mode 9.0.9