Re: Default font / size

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Default font / size
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 22:30:03 +0300

> From: John Mastro <john.b.mastro@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 12:15:03 -0700
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> > Or maybe you are asking why Emacs chooses size 12 for Consolas, but
> > size 10 for Courier New, and what factors affect that?
>
> Indeed, that may be a better way of putting it.
>
> The way I was thinking of it, probably muddled, was: Emacs has some way
> of selecting 10 as the font size when I don't specify a font, so I just
> need to find a way to ask it to do that when I specify Consolas.
>
> But if 12 is selected for Consolas because of some difference(s) between
> Courier New and Consolas then I probably can't avoid specifying the
> size (without avoiding Consolas anyway).

I think (but don't have time to check this now) that size 10 for
Courier New is due to how the default fontset is set up on Windows,
see w32-win.el.  If I'm right, then perhaps you could tweak
w32-standard-fontset-spec in your init file such that other fonts are
also chosen with size 10.  (Tweaking that variable needs to be done
from one of the hooks defined by startup.el, I think.)