RE: Major and minor modes

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Major and minor modes
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 20:07:17 -0700 (PDT)

> Shall we move this discussion to emacs-devel ?

I would say no (but feel free).  Eli will decide anyway,
and probably already has.  I don't see much point in a
big discussion about it.  It's not a very big deal.

It's mainly about communication - referring someone to a
manual section.  In Emacs that's done by (MANUAL) `NODE'.
And on the web it's done by a URL (e.g., a link).

FWIW, in Info I have `G' bound to command `Info-goto-web',
from Info+.  It takes you directly to the same section in
the online manual.  There I copy the URL and post it on
the web, when I want to point someone to the html manual.

I probably use `G' at least once a day, to point someone
to something in the manual, by linking to it.

Pointing them to (MANUAL) `NODE' (i.e., in Emacs) is
generally better, but both are useful.

(https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/InfoPlus)