Re: What makes elisp fun ?

From: John Ankarström
Subject: Re: What makes elisp fun ?
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 23:17:14 +0200

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> This is a trick question: the reason elisp is fun is
>> because it's the Emacs extension language.
>
> Are you sure? I can't even imagine having to do C or an OO
> language for what I do in Elisp. How it would ever work is
> another issue. But I can even less imagine it be as much
> fun as Lisp. Lisp is just a more relaxed language and for
> programming which is so intense and focused it is an
> awesome quality.

I completely agree with this sentiment. Emacs Lisp is a joy
to work with not only because it's the interactive extension
language of Emacs, but because it's a nice language. If
Emacs used Python as an extension language, I don't think we
would feel the same for Python as we do for Elisp.

The fact that Elisp is part of Emacs helped me discover, not
as a means to an end, but as a language in its own right.