Interactive window resize feedback?

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: Interactive window resize feedback?
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 11:22:01 -0500

I'm an old 80-column guy. Sometimes I need to widen a frame to view
more text without truncation or line wrappage, though. Is it possible
to get Emacs to provide a little interactive feedback as I resize the
frame? Alternatively, can I display frame or window dimensions in the
mode line? (I poked around some of the mode-line-format docs, but
honestly didn't understand what I was looking at.)

A bit of Googling and poking around in the customization didn't turn
anything up. I'm stuck on Windows with Emacs running on a Linux
server, so I can't go poking around window manager docs.

Thx,

Skip Montanaro