Re: spell make it work emacs on AppleMac

From: Richard Smith
Subject: Re: spell make it work emacs on AppleMac
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 09:04:00 +0100

Ben Bacarisse <ben.usenet@bsb.me.uk> writes:

> Richard Smith <null@void.com> writes:
>
>> On AppleMac "Air" - laptop - using as-installed emacs.
>
> I don't know what version that is.  What does M-x version say?
>
>> ESC-x ispell not working - nor any other spell command.  Have lived
>> for years without "spell" program in emacs
>
> What does not working mean?  Do you get told there is no such command or
> what?  What do M-x apropos spell and M-x customize-apropos spell show
> you?
>
>> Then couple of days ago, got surprise when accidentally pressed what
>> must have been the ESC-tab command - and got spell-check on preceding
>> word.
>> So ispell is installed?
>> Can I get it to work?
>>
>> Fifteen to twenty years ago, would charge forward typing text making
>> many typo's and let ispell sort it all out.
>> Miss it terribly - help appreciated.
>
> These days I prefer flyspell-mode which checks as you go, but the ispell
> command does give you better information.
>
>> PS - does it make more sense to install a full unix?
>> Miss GnuPlot, xfig, the GIMP, etc.
>
> I don't think anyone can answer that for you!
>
> --
> Ben.

Hi Ben

Your questions answered as best I can:

GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (mac-apple-darwin) of 2017-03-17 on osx338.sd.apple.com

macOS Sierra Version 10.12.4

* you didn't ask for this, but this is what the "*Messages*" buffer
* shows when you "hit" ESC-tab (M-tab (?))

Starting "look" process...

... then you see all the spelling options, just as if ispell were
running

* M-x apropos spell

** [I had searched C-h a for mention of "spell" !]

In this buffer, go to the name of the command, or function, or variable,
and type RET to get full documentation.

checkdoc-ispell
  Command: Check the style and spelling of everything interactively.
checkdoc-ispell-comments
  Command: Check the style and spelling of the current buffer's comments.
checkdoc-ispell-continue
  Command: Check the style and spelling of the current buffer after point.
checkdoc-ispell-current-buffer
  Command: Check the style and spelling of the current buffer.
checkdoc-ispell-defun
  Command: Check the style and spelling of the current defun with Ispell.
checkdoc-ispell-interactive
  Command: Check the style and spelling of the current buffer interactively.
checkdoc-ispell-message-interactive
  Command: Check the style and spelling of message text interactively.
checkdoc-ispell-message-text
  Command: Check the style and spelling of message text interactively.
checkdoc-ispell-start
  Command: Check the style and spelling of the current buffer.
erc-spelling-mode
  Command: (not documented)
flyspell-buffer
  Command: Flyspell whole buffer.
flyspell-mode
  Command: Minor mode performing on-the-fly spelling checking.
  Variable: (not documented)
  Plist: event-symbol-element-mask event-symbol-elements modifier-cache
flyspell-mode-off
  Function: Turn Flyspell mode off.
flyspell-prog-mode
  Command: Turn on `flyspell-mode' for comments and strings.
flyspell-region
  Command: Flyspell text between BEG and END.
ispell
  Command: Interactively check a region or buffer for spelling errors.
ispell-buffer
  Command: Check the current buffer for spelling errors interactively.
  Plist: event-symbol-element-mask event-symbol-elements modifier-cache
ispell-change-dictionary
  Command: Change to dictionary DICT for Ispell.
  Plist: event-symbol-element-mask event-symbol-elements modifier-cache
ispell-check-comments
  Plist: safe-local-variable
ispell-comments-and-strings
  Command: Check comments and strings in the current buffer for spelling errors.
  Plist: event-symbol-element-mask event-symbol-elements modifier-cache
ispell-complete-word
  Command: Try to complete the word before or under point (see `lookup-words').
  Plist: event-symbol-element-mask event-symbol-elements modifier-cache
ispell-complete-word-interior-frag
  Command: Completes word matching character sequence inside a word.
  Plist: event-symbol-element-mask event-symbol-elements modifier-cache
ispell-continue
  Command: Continue a halted spelling session beginning with the current word.
  Plist: event-symbol-element-mask event-symbol-elements modifier-cache
ispell-customize
  Plist: event-symbol-element-mask event-symbol-elements modifier-cache
ispell-dictionary-alist
  Variable: An alist of dictionaries and their associated parameters.
  Plist: variable-documentation
ispell-dictionary-alist-1
  Variable: (not documented)
ispell-dictionary-alist-2
  Variable: (not documented)
ispell-dictionary-alist-3
  Variable: (not documented)
ispell-dictionary-alist-4
  Variable: (not documented)
ispell-dictionary-alist-5
  Variable: (not documented)
ispell-dictionary-alist-6
  Variable: (not documented)
ispell-help
  Function: Display a list of the options available when a misspelling is
encountered.
  Plist: event-symbol-element-mask event-symbol-elements modifier-cache
ispell-html-skip-alists
  Variable: *Lists of start and end keys to skip in HTML buffers.
  Plist: variable-documentation
ispell-kill-ispell
  Command: Kill current Ispell process (so that you may start a fresh one).
  Plist: event-symbol-element-mask event-symbol-elements modifier-cache
ispell-local-dictionary
  Plist: safe-local-variable
ispell-local-dictionary-alist
  Variable: *List of local or customized dictionary definitions.
  Plist: variable-documentation custom-autoload custom-loads
ispell-menu-map
  Function: Prefix command (definition is a keymap associating keystrokes with
commands).
  Variable: Key map for ispell menu.
  Plist: variable-documentation
ispell-menu-map-needed
  Variable: (not documented)
ispell-menu-xemacs
  Variable: Spelling menu for XEmacs.
  Plist: variable-documentation
ispell-message
  Command: Check the spelling of a mail message or news post.
  Plist: event-symbol-element-mask event-symbol-elements modifier-cache
ispell-minor-mode
  Command: Toggle Ispell minor mode.
ispell-pdict-save
  Command: Check to see if the personal dictionary has been modified.
  Plist: event-symbol-element-mask event-symbol-elements modifier-cache
ispell-personal-dictionary
  Variable: *File name of your personal spelling dictionary, or nil.
  Plist: variable-documentation custom-autoload custom-loads
ispell-region
  Command: Interactively check a region for spelling errors.
  Plist: event-symbol-element-mask event-symbol-elements modifier-cache
ispell-skip-region-alist
  Variable: Alist expressing beginning and end of regions not to spell check.
  Plist: variable-documentation
ispell-tex-skip-alists
  Variable: *Lists of regions to be skipped in TeX mode.
  Plist: variable-documentation
ispell-word
  Command: Check spelling of word under or before the cursor.
  Plist: event-symbol-element-mask event-symbol-elements modifier-cache
separator-spell
  Plist: event-symbol-element-mask event-symbol-elements modifier-cache
spell
  Plist: event-symbol-element-mask event-symbol-elements modifier-cache
spell-buffer
  Command: Check spelling of every word in the buffer.
spell-filter
  Plist: risky-local-variable
spell-region
  Command: Like `spell-buffer' but applies only to region.
spell-string
  Command: Check spelling of string supplied as argument.
spell-word
  Command: Check spelling of word at or before point.
turn-off-flyspell
  Function: Unconditionally turn off Flyspell mode.
turn-on-flyspell
  Function: Unconditionally turn on Flyspell mode.

* M-x customize-apropos spell

This is a customization buffer.
Square brackets indicate buttons; type RET or click mouse-1 to actuate one.
Editing a setting changes only the text in the buffer.
Use the setting's State button to set it or save changes in it.
Saving a change normally works by editing your Emacs init file.
See [Custom file] for information on how to save in a different file.

See [Help] for more information.

Operate on all settings in this buffer that are not marked HIDDEN:
 [Set for Current Session] [Save for Future Sessions]
 [Undo Edits] [Reset to Saved] [Erase Customization]   [Finish]

Ispell Alternate Dictionary: [Hide Value] [Value Menu] File:
/usr/share/dict/web2
   [State]: STANDARD.

Alternate dictionary for spelling help.
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Check Comments: [Hide Value] [Value Menu] on
   [State]: STANDARD.

Spelling of comments checked when non-nil. [More]
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Choices Win Default Height: [Hide Value] 2
   [State]: STANDARD.

The default size of the `*Choices*' window, including mode line. [More]
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Complete Word Dict: [Hide Value] [Value Menu] File: /usr/share/dict/web2
   [State]: STANDARD.

Dictionary used for word completion.
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Extra Args: [Show Value]
   State: HIDDEN, invoke "Show" in the previous line to show.

If non-nil, a list of extra switches to pass to the Ispell program. [More]

Ispell Following Word: [Hide Value] [Toggle]  off (nil)
   [State]: STANDARD.

Non-nil means `ispell-word' checks the word around or after point. [More]
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Format Word Function: [Hide Value] upcase
   [State]: STANDARD.

Formatting function for displaying word being spell checked. [More]
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Grep Command: [Hide Value] egrep
   [State]: STANDARD.

Name of the grep command for search processes.
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Grep Options: [Hide Value] -i
   [State]: STANDARD.

String of options to use when running the program in `ispell-grep-command'.
[More]
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Have New Look: [Hide Value] [Toggle]  off (nil)
   [State]: STANDARD.

Non-nil means use the `-r' option (regexp) when running `look'.
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Help In Bufferp: [Hide Value] [Value Menu] off
   [State]: STANDARD.

Non-nil means display interactive keymap help in a buffer. [More]
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Highlight Face: [Hide Value] (sample) isearch
   [State]: STANDARD.

The face used for Ispell highlighting.  For Emacses with overlays. [More]
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Highlight P: [Hide Value] [Value Menu] block
   [State]: STANDARD.

Highlight spelling errors when non-nil. [More]
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Keep Choices Win: [Hide Value] [Toggle]  on (non-nil)
   [State]: STANDARD.

When non-nil, the `*Choices*' window remains for spelling session. [More]
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Lazy Highlight: [Hide Value] [Toggle]  on (non-nil)
   [State]: STANDARD.

Controls the lazy-highlighting of spelling errors. [More]
Parent groups: [Lazy Highlight] [Ispell]

Ispell Local Dictionary: [Hide Value] [Value Menu] default
   [State]: STANDARD.

If non-nil, the dictionary to be used for Ispell commands in this buffer. [More]
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Local Dictionary Alist: [Show Value]
   State: HIDDEN, invoke "Show" in the previous line to show.

List of local or customized dictionary definitions. [More]

Ispell Look Command: [Hide Value] /usr/bin/look
   [State]: STANDARD.

Name of the look command for search processes. [More]
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Look Options: [Hide Value] -df
   [State]: STANDARD.

String of command options for `ispell-look-command'.
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Look P: [Hide Value] [Toggle]  on (non-nil)
   [State]: STANDARD.

Non-nil means use `look' rather than `grep'. [More]
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Message Dictionary Alist: [Show Value]
   State: HIDDEN, invoke "Show" in the previous line to show.

List used by `ispell-message' to select a new dictionary. [More]

Ispell Message Fcc Skip: [Hide Value] [Value Menu] Integer: 50000
   [State]: STANDARD.

Query before saving Fcc message copy if attachment larger than this value.
[More]
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Personal Dictionary: [Hide Value] [Value Menu] default
   [State]: STANDARD.

File name of your personal spelling dictionary, or nil. [More]
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Program Name: [Hide Value] ispell
   [State]: STANDARD.

Program invoked by M-$ and M-x ispell-region commands.
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Query Replace Choices: [Hide Value] [Toggle]  off (nil)
   [State]: STANDARD.

Corrections made throughout region when non-nil. [More]
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Quietly: [Hide Value] [Toggle]  off (nil)
   [State]: STANDARD.

Non-nil means suppress messages in `ispell-word'.
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Silently Savep: [Hide Value] [Toggle]  off (nil)
   [State]: STANDARD.

When non-nil, save the personal dictionary without confirmation.
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Skip Html: [Hide Value] [Value Menu] use-mode-name
   [State]: STANDARD.

Indicates whether ispell should skip spell checking of SGML markup. [More]
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Skip Tib: [Hide Value] [Toggle]  off (nil)
   [State]: STANDARD.

Does not spell check `tib' bibliography references when non-nil. [More]
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Use Framepop P: [Hide Value] [Toggle]  off (nil)
   [State]: STANDARD.

When non-nil ispell uses framepop to display choices in a dedicated frame.
[More]
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell Use Ptys P: [Hide Value] [Toggle]  off (nil)
   [State]: STANDARD.

When non-nil, Emacs uses ptys to communicate with Ispell. [More]
Parent groups: [Ispell]

Ispell group: [Go to Group]
   User variables for Emacs ispell interface.

* You didn't ask about this - hope it's helpful.
* Find code for "spell" programs is, apparently, included
* /usr/share/emacs/22.1/

  /usr/share/emacs/22.1/:
  find . \( -iname \*spell\*  \) -exec ls -ld \{\} \;
  -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  844 17 Oct  2005 etc/images/low-color/spell.xpm
  -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  185 17 Oct  2005 etc/images/spell.pbm
  -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1279 17 Oct  2005 etc/images/spell.xpm
  -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1662  1 Apr  2007 lisp/erc/erc-spelling.el.gz
  -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  4709 17 Mar 01:23 lisp/erc/erc-spelling.elc
  -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  20031 25 May  2007 lisp/textmodes/flyspell.el.gz
  -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  52722 17 Mar 01:26 lisp/textmodes/flyspell.elc
  -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  43683 25 May  2007 lisp/textmodes/ispell.el.gz
  -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  96846 17 Mar 01:26 lisp/textmodes/ispell.elc
  -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  2089 21 Jan  2007 lisp/textmodes/spell.el.gz
  -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  3854 17 Mar 01:26 lisp/textmodes/spell.elc

* I did try things like M-x load-file ispell - which didn't change
* anything, FWIW

* here is effect of then giving command ESC x ispell (M-x ispell (?))
Starting new Ispell process [default] ...
apply: Searching for program: no such file or directory, ispell