Re: emacs startup: how to get rid of compile window despite of warnings

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: emacs startup: how to get rid of compile window despite of warnings
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 23:08:34 +0100

Krishnakant wrote:

> I have seen some answers for my question on
> stack overflow and the likes.

OK, but just what is your question exactly?

> But all of them have the solution to kill the
> compile buffer only when there are no errors
> and no warnings.

There is probably a miscommunication
(terminology) issue here.

The *compilation* buffer is what pops up when
you compile code in Emacs. You don't want to
automatically close this, especially not when
it reports warnings.

> But I have a different requirement.
>
> I wish that the compile buffer closes even if
> there are just warnings.

Here is some work on the debugger to make it
less noisy. You can fine tune it to not report
certain very harmless "errors". But just so not
have you confused this is an all-Emacs thing
that does not apply only to when Emacs starts!

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/error.el

Also, this is a matter of suppressing certain
errors which you don't consider errors.
It isn't suppressing ALL errors which isn't
a sound attitude.

> This I need to have when emacs starts.
>
> Which is the right hook to call is one part
> and how do I exactly kill the buffer is
> another one.

It is a better attitude to find out what
warnings you get and solve them one by one.
This makes you a better programmer with
a better system.

Here is some more init stuff that might help
you or give you some ideas what to do:

    ;; no fanfare / init
    (setq inhibit-startup-screen t)
    (setq inhibit-startup-echo-area-message "incal")

    ;; scratch buffer
    (setq initial-scratch-message nil)
    (kill-buffer "*scratch*")

For `inhibit-startup-echo-area-message', use
your username, I think what is in
`user-login-name'. But you should spell it out.

                   - so far: 69 Blogomatic articles -
                with: #moasen @ irc.freenode.net 6667