How to set `mm-use-ultra-safe-encoding' in message mode

From: Arun Isaac
Subject: How to set `mm-use-ultra-safe-encoding' in message mode
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 00:05:35 +0530

I am using message mode to compose mails. My outgoing SMTP relay is
corrupting my mail signatures by re-encoding with quoted-printable
encoding. According to the manual (at
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs-mime/Encoding-Customization.html),
I can work around this with `mm-use-ultra-safe-encoding'. But, the
manual warns me that this variable "should never be set directly, but
bound by other functions when necessary". How do I do this in message
mode?

I tried calling `message-encode-message-body' like so

(let ((mm-use-ultra-safe-encoding t))
  (message-encode-message-body))

but it does not help.

What is the proper way to set `mm-use-ultra-safe-encoding' in
message-mode?

Thanks,
Arun Isaac.