Re: grep

From: Aleksandar Simić
Subject: Re: grep
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 07:59:40 +0000

> On 9 Mar 2017, at 03:49, Fred Stanke <stanke@primenanoinc.com> wrote:
>
> I have emacs installed at
> C:\Applications\Emacs\bin\runemacs.exe
> It uses, *I believe*
> c:/Users/Fred/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/init.el

To reassure yourself, run:

C-x C-f ~/.emacs.d/init.el

If it opens your config file, you're good. If not, you should move your config
into that location.

> when I try to do a grep, I get this error:
>
> -*- mode: grep; default-directory: "c:/Users/Fred/" -*-
> Grep started at Wed Mar  8 19:46:54
>
> grep -n the *.txt NUL
> 'grep' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> Grep exited abnormally with code 1 at Wed Mar  8 19:46:54
>
> What do I need to do to get grep to work.
> (FYI: I  have deleted at least one Cygwin installation I had tried.)

It looks like the command grep is not in your path.

To ensure that it is, open the terminal where you usually run grep from and
type:

which grep

Note the path (if grep is installed).

Then in Emacs:

M-x eshell RET
which grep RET
echo $PATH RET

Check if grep is found in Eshell's path. If it isn't, you should add it.

Hope it helps
Aleksandar