Re: Help with windows and 'quit-restore

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Help with windows and 'quit-restore
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2017 08:23:04 -0800

>> Can anyone point me to the correct call for that?
>
> M-x trace-functions shows that your call is equivalent to the one caused
> by `display-buffer', so I guess the different behavior has another
> reason.
>
> `display-buffer' calls `window--display-buffer' which does some more
> stuff - the (set-window-prev-buffers window nil) call looks like it
> could be related.  Maybe you could try using `window--display-buffer' in
> your code?

Yup, with Martin's later response I think you're right that
`set-window-prev-buffers` is the key here. I did try just sticking
`window--display-buffer` in my function, which seemed to *prevent* the
buffer from being displayed, though I haven't had time to look into it
at all, I'm sure I was just doing something dumb.

>> Or reveal some better solution to the problem?
>
> The better solution would be to get it work with `display-buffer', I
> guess.

This was definitely my instinct, and I would still prefer to be using
the highest-level functions possible. But `display-buffer' with the
`display-buffer-pop-up-window' action just makes it too hard to target
the right window for splitting. Its whole point is that it figures out a
reasonable default for you, and while that works out fine in some cases,
in other cases I really need to say "use this window right here". There
are a million knobs to twiddle, though, and maybe I can hit some
combination that works.

Thanks,
Eric