Re: Saving a remote buffer into a local file

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Saving a remote buffer into a local file
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 18:00:36 +0200

> From: Dani Moncayo <dmoncayo@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 10:37:23 +0100
>
> > I think it would be nice to have some special syntax, so that I can
> > specify a path in my local host (and avoid the cumbersome
> > "/localuser@localhost:/localpath").
> >
> > Is there such a syntax?
>
> Answering myself: Yes, it seems so: Just quote the local path with "/:":
>
>   C-x C-w /:~/file2

Yes.  However, don't expect this to resolve to a file in your local
home directory.  That's what currently happens on MS-Windows (not on
Unix), but it will go away in Emacs 26, where "~/" will no longer
expand to HOME in quoted file names.  Instead, you will get
DEFDIR/~/file2, where DEFDIR is the default-directory of the buffer
from which you invoke the command.  That's because "/:" is supposed to
quote the tilde as well, allowing to use it as a literal character in
a file name.