Re: grep-at-point

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: grep-at-point
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 12:15:43 -0800

Joe Riel <joer@san.rr.com> wrote:
> Before writing one, is there an elisp function
> that returns a buffer of links to file locations
> where the elisp symbol at point is used?
>
> I'm only concerned with the files in the current directory.
> Am currently using M-x grep.   Maybe all I really need
> is a grep-at-point function, which greps for the symbol at point.

Sounds like `xref-find-references' (bound to M-? by default) might be
what you're looking for. It was introduced in Emacs 25.

    M-? runs the command xref-find-references (found in global-map),
    which is an interactive autoloaded compiled Lisp function in
    ‘xref.el’.

    It is bound to M-?.

    (xref-find-references IDENTIFIER)

    Find references to the identifier at point.
    With prefix argument, prompt for the identifier.