Re: Questions: classical X embedding, vc for Fossil

From: Richard Copley
Subject: Re: Questions: classical X embedding, vc for Fossil
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 22:38:30 +0000

On 3 December 2016 at 08:02, René Kuligowski
<renekuligowski@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> To whom it may concern & Dear people,
>
> two questions mar my enjoyment of Emacs:
>
> – is it possible to use the VC interface with the Fossil system
> (www.fossil-scm.org)?  Or, more specific, will support for Fossil be added?
> (and *no*, I am not going to switch to git or mercurial or back to cvs for a
> *lot* of reasons…)

Yes, vc-fossil is available from MELPA. It mostly works; vc-fossil-diff is
missing an argument; as a temporary cludge you can add one and ignore
it:

-(defun vc-fossil-diff (files &optional rev1 rev2 buffer)
+(defun vc-fossil-diff (files &optional rev1 rev2 buffer async)

> – asides from ImageMagick, FFMPEG ought to be a compilation option, adding
> full integral media support (eg. for the embedded GTK3-Webbrowser or emms).

That's more of a feature request (M-x report-emacs-bug) than a question.
But then you did say two ...

> – why is X embedding only implemented for GTK3 (and rudimentary at that),
> not even for GTK2 or Athena/Xtk-Widgets?  Embedding has been around for more
> than twenty years, as eg. FVWMButtons, XTerm, Tabbed, or many other
> applications have been showing for a looong time.  It is about darn time
> that Emacs gets *complete* X-embedding capability to both be embedded in
> other apps and to embed other apps (eg. XTerm or Ghostview) in itself.  To
> program that interface is not *that* hard, mind you…

I don't know. Does it matter why? :)