RE: How can I discover group name?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How can I discover group name?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 13:53:35 -0700 (PDT)

> >> Within "M-x customize"  I found "Text" group.
> >
> > I don't see that group, with `emacs -Q'.  Perhaps it comes from
> > some library that you are using?
> >
> > What does `M-x customize-group RET TAB' tell you?
> > That's how to discover group names.
>
> M-x customize RET
>
>   Emacs group: Customization of the One True Editor.
>          State : visible group members are all at standard values.
>         See also Manual.
>
>   Editing                 Basic text editing facilities.
>   Convenience             Convenience features for faster editing.
>   Files                   Support for editing files.
>   **Text**        Support for editing text files.

Oops.  Looks to me like a bug (#24549) that `M-x customize-group'
does not recognize custom group `text'.

> Under "Text" group (if press RET on **Text**):
>
>   Text group: Support for editing text files.
>          State : visible group members are all at standard values.
>
>   Show Value Text Mode Hook
>      Hook run after entering Text mode. More
>
>   Subgroups:
>   Bib             Major mode for editing bib files.
>   Columns                 Prettify columns.
>   Lpr             Print Emacs buffer on line printer.
>   Nroff                   Nroff mode.
>   Outlines                Support for hierarchical outlining.
>   Picture                 Editing text-based pictures ("ASCII art").
>   Rst             Support for reStructuredText documents.
>   Table                   Text based table manipulation utilities.
>   Tex             Code related to the TeX formatter.
>   Tildify                 Add hard spaces or other text fragments to text
> buffers.
>   View                    Peruse file or buffer without editing.
>
> Within 'M-x customize-group RET TAB' I didn't see either "text" nor
> "Text".

Me neither.  I just filed bug #24549 for this.

> >> I'd like to add my group to this group. Unfortunately this was failed:
> >>   (defgroup xxx nil
> >>     "xxx-mode customization."
> >>     :group 'text)
> >               ^^^^  'Text, not 'text, if "Text" is the group name.
> >
> >> Searching around gave working piece:
> >>   (defgroup xxx nil
> >>     "xxx-mode customization."
> >>     :group 'wp)
> >>
> >> How can I guess "wp" name from customize buffer content?
> >
> > What is the relation between this and group "Text"?
> > What do you see in the Customize buffer?
>
> Screens shown above. After executing:
>
> >>   (defgroup xxx nil
> >>     "xxx-mode customization."
> >>     :group 'wp)
>
> I see my group under Text group:
>
>   Text group: Support for editing text files.
>          State : visible group members are all at standard values.
>
>   Show Value Text Mode Hook
>      Hook run after entering Text mode. More
>
>   Subgroups:
>   Bib             Major mode for editing bib files.
>   View                    Peruse file or buffer without editing.
>   Xxx             xxx-mode customization.

> My question is why does "Text" group require symbol 'wp' in "(defgroup
> ...)"
> call and how can I guess this symbol during navigation across *Customize*
> buffers?

Good question.  I'm getting the impression that `text' is not
a real group but is some other kind of (virtual) grouping of
some other groups.

I do not see it defined in the Lisp sources using `defgroup'.
If it were defined using `defgroup', as usual, then I would
expect that (1) you would be able to inherit from it directly
and (2) it would be recognized by `customize-group'.