Re: How to change the keyboard mapping?

From: B.V. Raghav
Subject: Re: How to change the keyboard mapping?
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2016 19:46:45 +0530

Hi,

> How can I map my alpha-ENTER to be the same as my numerical-ENTER please?

I checked for the keycode using xev in my terminal

The two enter keys produce this line in their respective output:

state 0x0, keycode 36 (keysym 0xff0d, Return), same_screen YES,
state 0x0, keycode 104 (keysym 0xff8d, KP_Enter), same_screen YES,

`C-h k <kp-enter>' provides the key binding in current mode. Then I run
`M-: (local-set-key (kbd "<kp-enter>") (lambda () (interactive) (message
"KP Enter pressed")))' and press <kp-enter>. It works.

So I think there are two ways I should proceed

1. Explicitly map <kp-enter> to the same command as <return> in the
   particular mode I am talking about.

2. Or, use Xmodmap to simulate a return globally. I should append into
   the .Xmodmap file, and invoke it in the .xinitrc

   keycode 104 = Return

   For more details on xmodmap, `M-x man RET xmodmap RET', and
   https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xmodmap

There should be more elegant ways to do the job, but this is FWIW.

HTH

(B.V. Raghav)
Ph.D. Student,
Design Programme, IIT Kanpur