gnus-group-compact-group and expiry

From: allan gottlieb
Subject: gnus-group-compact-group and expiry
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 23:20:50 -0400

On Wed, Jun 15 2016, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 17:27:20 -0400 allan gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
>
> ag> There is a "global" command that I used once (but forgot its name)
> ag> that eliminates the holes in the numbers.
>
> gnus-group-compact-group is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
> ‘gnus-group.el’.
>
> (gnus-group-compact-group GROUP)
>
> Compact the current group.
> Compaction means removing gaps between article numbers.  Hence, this
> operation is only meaningful for back ends using one file per article
> (e.g. nnml).
>
> Note: currently only implemented in nnml.
>
> HTH
> Ted

As I mentioned previously gnus-group-compact-group works great for
eliminating gaps in article numbers.

I realized that, since gnus-group-compact-group copies the files, those
previously marked E might not expire before nnmail-expiry-wait days
after running gnus-group-compact-group.  But that is not happening.

In my main mail group I have a large number of messages that arrived in
May and were marked E.  On 16 June I ran gnus-group-compact-group.
Since nnmail-expiry-wait is 31 (see below) they should have disappeared
a few days ago but have not.

Any help would be appreciated.

allan

nnmail-expiry-wait is a variable defined in `nnmail.el'.
Its value is 31
Original value was 7

(gnus-summary-goto-article 1000)

selects

27-MayE  [ 277: J. P. MORGAN SECURITIES] PIMCO FUNDS Important Information

gottlieb@E7450-wired ~ $ ls -l ~/Mail/MAIL/1000
-rw------- 1 gottlieb gottlieb 11091 Jun 16 18:18 /home/gottlieb/Mail/MAIL/1000