Re: relative line numbers and folding: how to make they play along?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: relative line numbers and folding: how to make they play along?
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 07:51:44 +0300

> From: Filipe Silva <filipe.silva@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 12:11:45 -0300
>
> there was some discussion in spacemacs about the relative line number
> behaviour in emacs:
> https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs/issues/6536
>
> In essence, currently relative line numbers in emacs are rendered useless
> if folding is applied to the buffer.

What are "relative line numbers" in Emacs?  I see nothing in these
discussions that describes how (with what commands/packages) the line
numbers were produced in Emacs.  So it's hard to tell anything
intelligent about this issue.

> One of the spacemacs maintainers specifically said: "I should note that due
> to how folding and line numbers work in Emacs this would be nigh impossible
> to fix."
> I find that difficult to believe given how people in emacs community praise
> about emacs infinite extensibility.

The right place and way to discuss this is by filing a bug report with
all the specifics, including a recipe for reproducing the issue,
preferably starting from "emacs -Q".

Thanks in advance.