Re: Invalid face reference: quote

From: Loris Bennett
Subject: Re: Invalid face reference: quote
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 16:53:17 +0200

> "Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de>
> writes:
>
>> You can reduce the amount of light entering
>> your eye even more by using
>> a very-dark-grey-on-black theme and wearing
>> sunglasses. That should really minimise your
>> levels of eye stress.
>
> If you suffer from severe eye problems you can
> wear sunglasses and use a projector with a big
> text size. If you wear normal glasses, you can
> use the 3D-glasses from the cinemas on top.
> However if you do all this you should have very
> *bright* text colors to contrast as sharply as
> possible from both the background and the other
> colors. It is not only about minimizing the
> light, it is also about maximizing "seeing" as
> opposed to reading. It is clear that only the
> most dedicated people can suffer from such
> a condition and still keep up programming every
> day for several years... nothing for cowards
> who hide behind irony and their monitors.

I sorry I seem to have offended you.  I was merely trying to point out
in a light-hearted manner that minimising the amount of light entering
the eye, if really does reduce eye stress, cannot be the whole solution,
with which you seem to agree.

I have also had issues with eye strain and, from the information I was
able to find, decided that the evidence seems to favour dark-on-light as
being less stressful and that the brightness of the display should be
similar to the ambient brightness.

If you have any information to the benefits of light-on-dark (which I
have always felt looks way cooler - your dark version of angry fruit
salad being no exception) and brightness minimisation, I would be
interested to read it.

Cheers,

Loris