Re: Overriding emacs key bindings

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Overriding emacs key bindings
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 02:55:44 +0100

> xiongtk <xiongtk@gmail.com> writes:

>> I kind of run out of keys on my keyboard.
>> Since this function is rarely used(I use
>> English for 99% of the time), I think the
>> function keys is fine.
>
> If you really *do* run out of shortcuts, get
> a new prefix key, e.g. C-o which is short and
> close - check your hands when at asdf jkl; and
> note the required movement to strike C-o!
>
> Now even a new world of shortcuts opens. E.g.,

Personally, I'm very used to C-o being open-line.  That said, I agree
with Emmanuel in general about this.

There are a lot of options that people don't consider.  Emacs reserves
all keybindings of the type C-c C-<something> for modes.  However, if the
second key doesn't begin with ctrl then the user can use it.  The entire
C-c <something> keymap is reserved for the user.  The something can be
any key that's not prefixed by ctrl or meta.  Any key works, even the
numbers and symbols on the keyboard.  Capitals and small letters aren't
treated the same, so there's a huge space there for new keybindings.
Then there are rarely used prefix keys, like the key for marking text,
you can attach stuff to that one.

BR,
Robert Thorpe