Re: Character with codepoint #o223 is displayed as \223, do I have a fon

From: N. Jackson
Subject: Re: Character with codepoint #o223 is displayed as \223, do I have a font problem?
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 16:26:06 -0300

At 17:47 +0200 on Friday 2016-03-18, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> it means that Emacs decoded a UTF-8 encoded text as Latin-1. And then
> the result which produced 2 characters out of one, was re-encoded as
> UTF-8.

> composition is not involved. It's just that the UTF-8 encoding of Ó is
> a pair of bytes \303\223.

Ah, I see. Thank you both for the explanations and education.

At 16:02 +0100 on Friday 2016-03-18, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> How did you get at the text?

It was displayed in a message in Gnus. (It was an email message to the
Emacs devel mailing list (from Eli, coincidentally), but I was reading
it as news through Gmane, which unfortunately adds an extra layer of
complication.)

In the raw text of the message, the text is

    =C3=83=C2=93scar

and the message includes the following headers:

FWIW, the raw text of the message is attached.

The message in question can also be viewed in the mailing list at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-11/msg01020.html
where the text displays (in my browser) as:

    Ãscar

I'm wondering if there's a way to get Gnus to handle such text
correctly, or if the problem is in the original message.

N.