Re: Updating Elisp files while Emacs is running

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: Updating Elisp files while Emacs is running
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 18:41:34 +0000

Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> schrieb am Mo., 14. März 2016 um
19:13 Uhr:

> Philipp Stephani <p.stephani2@gmail.com> writes:
> >> If you want an existing Emacs to move to the new packages, that would be
> >> hard to get right; only a restart is going to make sense here.
> >>
> >> Why is that a problem?
> >>

> > Because Emacs expects the old files to be there, but they have been
> > removed. Sorry for being unclear: the old files get removed during the
> > upgrade.
>
> You want to load lisp files from two version of Emacs into the same
> Emacs? This is not going to end well, I fear.

Better than not loading anything at all though. It gives users the chance
to perform an orderly shutdown of Emacs. With the files absent, often even
kill-emacs fails because there's something autoloaded in kill-emacs-hook
that can't be loaded any more. The intention is not to keep instances with
inconsistent Elisp libraries loaded for a long time, it's more to not
immediately crash and burn and allow the user to finish they work before
restarting.