Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail)
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 01:44:17 +0100

<cptvlaze@tutamail.com> writes:

> ;; Firstly setup SMTP. (require 'smtpmail) (setq
> send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.foomail.com"
> smtpmail-smtp-service 587       user-mail-address
> "foo@foomail")

Mr. Mastro already mentioned the erroneous right
parenthesis which is what in particular is causing
your problem at this point.

In general it is better to do `setq' for every
variable, i.e.,

    (setq send-mail-function   'smtpmail-send-it)
    (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.foomail.com")
    ;; and so on

The exception to the rule is when the same data
appears in several variables, then you shouldn't have
(for consistency reasons) the data several times but
instead, e.g.,

    (setq gnus-extra-headers   '(To Cc Keywords Gcc Newsgroups X-Spam-Flag)
          nnmail-extra-headers gnus-extra-headers)

(But you can have several setq there as well.)

> ;; The line below puts sent items into
> an mbox file. (setq mail-default-headers "FCC:
> ~/Mail/Sent")

In Gnus you can also have a designated archive group
for sent material, e.g.

    (setq gnus-message-archive-group "nnml:mail.sent")

> ;; This puts my name correctly in email
> To/From lines. (setq user-full-name "Fooname Barname")

We are waiting for that to happen :)

> Ah, and emacs tells me to 'Send Mail via Gnus Mail'.
> I guess this code is for gnus, isn't it?

Gnus can use it but so can Rmail and just
about anything.

So you can focus on getting all data right. Once they
are, you should be a stone-throw away from getting
either Rmail, Gnus, or for that matter any other mail
client to work with just another few lines of
application-specific configuration.

> Thank you for your attention!

Thank us by getting Rmail or Gnus up with at proper
To:, and then use proper citing/quoting in all your
mails, i.e. not top-posting...

--
underground experts united