Re: How to use display-time-world to show time in specific time zones?

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: How to use display-time-world to show time in specific time zones?
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 11:30:07 +0600

On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 11:13 PM, N. Jackson <nljlistbox2@gmail.com> wrote:

>     TIMEZONE should be a string of the form AREA/LOCATION, where AREA is
>     the name of a region -- a continent or ocean, and LOCATION is the name
>     of a specific location, e.g., a city, within that region.
>     LABEL is a string to display as the label of that TIMEZONE’s time.
>
> But these values are _places_ not time zones. I'm wondering how, for
> example, one would add UTC to the list?

This paragraph of documentation is very similar to the documentation
on the Olson timezone database:

ftp://ftp.iana.org/tz/data/Theory

    Names normally have the form AREA/LOCATION, where AREA is the name
    of a continent or ocean, and LOCATION is the name of a specific
    location within that region.  North and South America share the same
    area, 'America'.  Typical names are 'Africa/Cairo', 'America/New_York',
    and 'Pacific/Honolulu'.

This strongly indicates that zoneinfo-style-world-list just refers to
timezone names as listed in that database.

Armed with this knowledge, you can try using "Etc/UTC", and browse the
database for names of other time zones.