Re: Symbol's function definition is void: locating the code

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: Symbol's function definition is void: locating the code
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 15:20:06 +0100

* Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> wrote:
> Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:
>
>>> I sometimes face errors like this:
>>>
>>> "avy-menu: Symbol's function definition is void:
>>> with-current-buffer-window"
>>>
>>> OK, so a package misses some function which is probably provided by
>>> another package (missing dependency).
>>
>> Which version is your Emacs? avy-menu requires the latest release of
>> Emacs (24.5)
>
> Correction: as implicitly stated below, avy-menu requires Emacs 24.4 (at
> least).

At home, I do run Emacs 24.4 (Debian). At work, I use 24.3 (Windows).

So avy-menu has a bug in its dependency-list. Thanks!

>> For your specific case above I searched the Emacs sources and found that
>> with-current-buffer-window was introduced on 2014-03-16, which means
>> that *probably* it was released on Emacs 24.4. That was an Emacs
>> feature, if the missing piece is in a package, googling is the way to
>> go, as mentioned above. However, any package worth its salt must mention
>> its dependencies, versions included. The current avy-menu.el mentions
>>
>> ;; Package-Requires: ((emacs "24.3") (avy "0.3.0"))
>>
>> I think that (emacs "24.3") is wrong, because that version was released
>> before with-current-buffer-window was coded into Emacs.

Am I guessing right when the algorithm for locating missing
functions is:

1. Web-search with "emacs" and the function name
2. Search the Emacs source code repository to find it in the most
   recent code
3. Ask for help at gmane.emacs.help (this mailinglist)

--
All in all, one of the most disturbing things today is the definitive
fact that the NSA, GCHQ, and many more government organizations are