Re: 64 bit official Windows builds

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: 64 bit official Windows builds
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 14:35:46 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 15:01:53 -0800 (PST)
>> From: Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com>
>>
>> Are there any plans for GNU to create official 64 bit builds of
>> Emacs releases?
>
> You mean, for Windows?  Or for all 64-bit platforms?
>
> If the former, this simply needs a volunteer who'd be prepared to
> produce the binaries, package them in a compressed archive, set up
> uploading rights to the GNU servers, and upload the stuff whenever a
> new release is out.

IIRC the problematic part is to create and distribute a source tarball
with all the libraries included on the binary package (graphic
libraries, SSL, etc). This was discussed on the past and can't recall
the outcome.

>> I  understand we use mingw to cross-compile
>
> MinGW is not a cross compiler, at least not when it runs on Windows
> natively.  It's a native Windows port of GNU development tools (GCC
> and Binutils) that runs on MS-Windows, targets MS-Windows, and uses
> the Windows runtime libraries for its C library.

MinGW is used on GNU/Linux as a cross compiler for creating Windows
binaries. Maybe the OP is thinking on this scenario. He is not aware of
the peculiar build procedure of Emacs, which requires dumping a running
binary image (maybe this could be achieved running temacs under Wine,
but modifications to the build scripts are required).

[snip]