Re: Preventing ERC automated channel disconnects

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: Preventing ERC automated channel disconnects
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2015 09:33:25 +0100

Hello,

On 2015-12-03 22:16, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> Seeing the IRC questions has prompted me to ask about something that
> gets in the way of my using ERC.  I use an irc bouncer proxy to
> maintain a persistent connection.  With most irc clients this works
> great.  But with Emacs erc when I disconnect erc then disconnects from
> all of the channels completely defeating the purpose of using the irc
> bouncer.
>
> I have looked several times but haven't found where this disconnection
> is done.  Does anyone know how to tell erc not to do this?
>
> [My workaround when I am using erc is to pull the network connection
> so that erc can't transmit the disconnect commands and then to exit
> erc.  Then I can reconnect to the network.  Harsh.  But effective!]

I did not know about IRC bouncers, so I looked it up, and I really like
the idea (I'm currently using weechat in a tmux session on a server to
stay connected, but it's outside of emacs which is sad). Which irc
bouncer would you recommend using?

Thanks,

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7
Athmospheric CO₂ (Updated November 29, 2015, Mauna Loa Obs.): 400.37 ppm