Re: M-x in Evil mode

From: Random832
Subject: Re: M-x in Evil mode
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 01:27:01 -0500

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:
> wiehen@gmail.com [2015-11-28 17:20:05-08] wrote:
>> How am I supposed to execute commands (M-x), when working in Evil
>> mode, as Vim uses <ESC> already?
>>
>> I am on MacOS, executing Emacs in the terminal. When I use Emacs
>> without Evil mode, <ESC> works for M-x.
>
> This depends on your terminal settings. Usually left Alt key is
> configured to send Meta to the terminal. I don't have OS X terminal so I
> can't give specific instructions but maybe there is an option like "Left
> Alt is Meta" somewhere. (Or was Alt key called "option key"?)

>From some testing (using Terminal.app and iTerm2), I haven't had trouble
with the meta (alt/option) key in evil or viper modes even when they do
send ESC (which I find works better for other applications and for
avoiding confusion with unicode input). It distinguishes it somehow from
pressing Esc separately and then e.g. x; I assume by some very quick
timeout.

If you're using Terminal.app, you have to enable "Use Option as Meta
key" in your profile's keyboard settings.