editing a file in a subversion controlled directory makes my emacs explo

From: Geert Vermeiren
Subject: editing a file in a subversion controlled directory makes my emacs explode (almost)
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 05:49:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I ran into this problem:

When I open a file which is located in a subversion controlled directory (local
working copy), emacs (24.5.1 on CentOs 6) seems to start doing a LOT of
background stuff.
It eats up processor resources, effectively making the system very sluggish,
and RAM, up to and beyond physical memory (of which my machine has 32GB).

Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how to solve this?

Many thanks in advance for your insights,
Kind regards,

Geert