Re: Thanks Re: Global keymap not found

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Thanks Re: Global keymap not found
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2015 22:12:24 +0200

Albrecht Mehl <AlbrechtMehl.spamgrab@iesy.net> writes:

> Maybe people here think 'A beginner should be moderate and not ask for
> improvements' so that I get here a bad image. Nevertheless I insist
>
>   - Fundamental things should be available at once and not after
>     hopping from one point to another to another ...

Beginners are invited to do the interactive tutorial (C-h t) first.

>   - They should be available in the manual, too, not just in the
>     info manual

The info manual is the manual.  What other manual are you referring to?

>   - The manual should have three appendices - there might be other
>     candidates -
>
>       1. Alphabetical list of all global (prefix) keys

That would be pointless.  I mean, that would be a printed version of
`C-h b' in a buffer in `fundamental-mode' except that the latter
actually reflects the bindings that are really available to you whereas
a list in the manual could at best reflect the bindings of the
distributed emacs.  That is, your system admin might have installed more
packages that add/change standard bindings, you yourself might have
customizations, etc., etc.

>       2. Alph. list of all global commands

Type `M-x TAB', there you have your list of all commands (and all
commands are "global").  The most important commands are all documented
also in the manual, and there's an alphabetical index, too.

    (info "(emacs)Command Index") <-- C-x C-e here!

>       3. List of all global commands grouped according to scope

What do you mean with scope?  Emacs Lisp has only global scope when you
mean the programming term.  We just use poor man's namespaces by using
unique prefixes for all commands and variables of a package.

>   - The chapters in the manual are numerated within the text. So
>     they should be in the table of context as well. People
>     write 'Look at 49.1' e.g. and one wonders where this is.

Indeed, that would make sense.

Bye,
Tassilo