Re: kill-region without modifying the kill ring

From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
Subject: Re: kill-region without modifying the kill ring
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 11:37:53 -0400

Barry Margolin writes:

Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo writes:
Jim Newton writes: > is there a way or an idiom for killing a region without > changing the kill ring. I often want to cut several > different regions by highlighting them, but then insert a > particular thing with C-Y. If I use C-W to kill the region > C-Y will yank back the string I just killed rather than the > one I want. It would be nice to have a version of C-W > which does not effect the kill-ring. Doesn't selecting the text and using <backspace> do exactly that?

I just tried it, and C-y recovered the deleted text. So it does put it on the kill-ring.

No, I think you are wrong. delete-backward-char (bound to <backspace>) doesn't put the text in the kill ring. At least not by default, try it with emacs -Q

--
Jorge.