Issues with edited files not being saved

From: warren ferguson
Subject: Issues with edited files not being saved
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 15:33:02 -0500

I've just downloaded and build a recent version of emacs.

GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
> head -n 1 /.image
LinuxSET EC Image SLES11SP2-2 Revision 0 ia32e
> sysname -afs
x86-64_linux30

Unfortunately, when I edit a file and try to save it, the status line shows the
usual "saving" message but that message never goes away indicating the save
completed. While the attempt to save is ongoing, I can go to the terminal
window and check that the file has not been updated to reflect the edits.
Interestingly, if I save the edited file to a new unused file name, the save
does complete.
How do I determine why emacs is unable to write over the original file?
I checked file permissions, and they don't seem to be the source of the
problem. Indeed, the emacs (version 23.2.1) that came with the OS is able to
save edits to the same file.