Re: using use-package

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: using use-package
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 18:54:58 -0700

On 2015-08-05 18:34 -0700, Rusi wrote:

> Putting in the core is rather some distance from promoting as the "one
> true way"

Ok, so please specify what you mean by "putting in the core".

The kinds of things that you need to manually change when starting to
use a new package (and so the things for which use-package is useful, I
guess) are twofold: autoloads of functions, and items in global lists
such as auto-mode-alist and compilation-error-regexp-alist.  But you
don't need to add either for modules in the core, both are already set
up for you.

Everything else can be done with customizable options.  Or do I forget
something?

> Analogy: Some ifs can be shortened to when/unless/and etc but not all.
> Should when/unless/and be banned since people forget how to use if?

:-) Actually it's if that I would ban, it's asymmetric and ugly.  Use
cond when when/unless don't fit.

> Old users of emacs forget that many potential new users never cross
> the potential barrier to becoming actual users because of initial
> (includes init!) complexity

I don't buy this "new users" argument in the context of free software,
and there are good counterexamples (Gnome).