Re: How can I change the default loading buffer?

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: How can I change the default loading buffer?
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 01:38:46 +0100

> Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:
>
>> See this node in the Emacs Lisp Manual and figure
>> out where you want it to happen in relation to other
>> things: (info "(elisp)Startup Summary") .
>>
>> If you want it in that hook do:
>>
>> (add-hook 'emacs-startup-hook (lambda ()
>> (switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create (shell)))))
>
> You mean so not to interfere with batch mode Emacs and
> other (?) stuff like that? Well, yeah, but just
> putting Emacs in some mode and displaying some buffer
> shouldn't disturb that, should it?

Batch mode is one aspect of it.

Another is packages.  Package-initialize runs after the init file is
loaded.  Suppose a package is used that affects the operations of M-x
shell (e.g. bash-completion.el).  That package may need initializing
prior to shell-mode starting to function correctly.

If you run in a terminal then there can be terminal specific elisp
libraries.  That library is selected and loaded after the init file.
So, if M-x shell depends on it being already loaded there will be
problems.  I don't know that it does, but it legitimately could.  The
colour set could be different in the shell started at init to elsewhere.

>     ;; starting point
>     (call-interactively 'w3m)
>     (cd "~/")

The way I use Emacs that would work fine too, but it's not universal.

BR,
Robert Thorpe