Startup time [Was: starting the emacs daemon using init.org?]

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Startup time [Was: starting the emacs daemon using init.org?]
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 08:08:51 -0700

On 2015-07-20 20:19 +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:

> I've just reloaded emacs after changing my init.org, and it took 142.3secs!

Do you (and others who suffer from long startup times) use the "desktop"
feature, reopening the files that were open when emacs last exited?  If
yes, are all these files still needed?  Maybe you should do one (or
both) of the following:

Manually close some files (kill some buffers, in emacs speak)

Set the desktop-buffers-not-to-save variable to exclude some buffers
from the auto-reopening mechanism